She's Crafty...

and she's just my type!

Friday, June 30, 2006

Installment No. 2 of "What was I thinking?"



About 2 years ago, Rowan introduced their R2 line of yarns and patterns. The idea was that the pattern line and the corresponding yarns would be edgier than Rowan's other offerings. The yarns would also only be available for that season, after which they would promptly be discontinued, available only on the black market of Elann and eBay. In that first issue, they introduced Paper, a 100% nylon ribbon, and Rag, a 100% cotton that was basically knit fabric cut into strips. I bought 4 balls of Paper and the pattern book, knit the basic pullover in the pattern book, then immediately put it away in my big box of knitting. I drag it out every few months, decide not to seam it and put it back in my big box to sit idle until the next time I decide to do some housecleaning.

The thing is, I actually like this yarn, even if it does fall into the novelty category. It feels and looks like gauze and knits up into a really stretchy fabric with a weird drape. I think the problem I have with this almost-sweater is that the pattern just isn't interesting enough to suit the yarn. If you click on over to Elann, they've got pics of all the patterns in the book (one of which was featured on You Knit What?? recently). The one I knit is the least interesting of the bunch - and as you might know, there's nothing I hate more than uninteresting. I think my choice is clear. I'm probably going to have it ripped before you read this post. Any ideas as to what I should do with it next? Apart from using it to bandage wounds, of course.

2 Comments:

Blogger yahaira said...

umm what is this?!

8:59 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Erm, I think I published the picture before I finished my actual entry. It should be pretty clear now that it was a horrible, misguided mistake.

9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home