She's Crafty...

and she's just my type!

Friday, December 01, 2006

My So Called Scarf

Posted by Picasa

There hasn't been much knitting going on here these days other than Christmas present knitting. I'm not sure why, but I'm one of those irritating people who try to make all their presents. Sometimes, I supplement with store bought things but every person on my gift list gets at least one hand-made item. As a consequence, I end up hating most of the stuff I knit throughout November and December. I knit with yarn I hate (my mother has an irritating predilection for novelty yarn scarves), and items that drive me crazy (*&%$# gloves). These two scarves do not fall into that category. They're for a few members of the my extended household for whom I'm knitting for the first time and I'm pretty sure they're going to be well received. The pattern is just two easy to memorize rows and goes remarkably fast for a stitch pattern that is so closed. My hands hurt a little bit while knitting which might be because the stitches end up so tight on your needles and require some prodding to end up where they're supposed to. Nothing that can't be fixed with a little rest (some stockinette) and a little medication (chocolate, Advil, beer...).

Pattern: My So Called Scarf from Sheep in the City
Yarn: 2 skeins of Manos del Uruguay for each
Modifications: None. Just giv'er.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeanette Stewart said...

what type of yarn should be used for this scarf? I looked at the original, but she didn't give a gauge or anything. What did you use?

5:48 PM  
Blogger Jeanette Stewart said...

sorry.. what yardage and weight is this yarn? i don't think i can find the one recommended in saskatchewan. i love the pattern, but don't think i can find that type.

5:49 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Hi Jeanette! Manos del Uruguay has a 135 yards per hank and is considered a heavy worsted yarn. It's normally knit on 6 mm needles but because the stitch pattern is so tight, the pattern for the scarf calls for larger 8 mm needles.The Manos is a thick and thin yarn so you might want to go with a yarn that has a that same type of thick and thin texture.

5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home